From: Ryan Fritz [mailto:communications@motorcyclingvic.com.au]
Sent: Tuesday, 29 May 2012 1:00 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: Motorcycling Victoria: Victoria's Best Remain in Hunt for State's Top Honours
May 29, 2012
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
VICTORIA’S BEST REMAIN IN HUNT FOR STATE’S TOP HONOURS
VICTORIA’s best riders remain in the hunt to claim the state’s top honours in motocross after the third round of the 2012 Victorian Senior Motocross Championships successfully took place at the Maffra-Sale Motorcycle Club’s motocross track in Newry, May 26-27.
A number of Victorians including Sam Martin (A Grade Open), Joel Milesevic (A Lites & Under 19s), and Kristy Gillespie (Ladies) are all within touching distance of the title in the state’s top classes during a weekend which remained largely rain-free.
Sam Martin leads the A Grade Open class by 40 points (249pts) over Kyle McKeddie (209pts) and Tim Vare (204pts). Whilst McKeddie had a better round, accruing a total 89 points, it was Martin who did enough to stay out in front of the overall leaderboard, winning two motos and placing fourth in another two, to solidify his position at the top of the table.
“I was hoping to win four out of four motos but I had a bit of bad luck with a few things, but I’m still in one piece,” Martin said. “I was very surprised that the Newry track wasn’t under water. The club did a great job there.
“I actually haven’t won a Victorian Title before. I haven’t had one of those so far in my name so I might as well get one in the A Open,” the GYTR Yamaha pilot added.
On his plans for Horsham, Sam replied: “My plan is to just try and go out there and win every race, of course, but we’ll see how the final (round) goes and hopefully I can get it all wrapped up with two races to go.”
Joel Milesevic currently leads the Under 19s and the A Lites classes by 22 points and 24 points respectively. Remarkably, Milesevic won seven out of eight of his motos in both classes, just missing out on the perfect weekend to Dylan Long in the final race of the A Lites class. Lewis Woods sits in third in the A Lites class, whilst Billy Jackson sits in third in the Under 19s class.
“I won seven out of eight races,” Milesevic reflected on an almost-perfect weekend. “I fell off in the last race (of the A Lites class) but still managed to come second, which was good. The rain didn’t affect it at all,” Joel said.
Asked about his chances at winning two titles in his first year in the Seniors, Joel replied: “It would be nice to win two titles in my first year but as long as I stay on my bike and get good starts we’ll see what happens (at Horsham). Obviously, Dylan will be going for it as well,” the JBS Motorsports rider added.
The battle is far from over as Long will mount the pressure on Milesevic as they head into the final round at Horsham on June 23-24.
“Round 3 wasn’t too bad,” Long reflected. “We did a lot of changes on the bike with the sprockets and things like that, as I wasn’t getting a lot of drive out of the corners as I would have liked, so we ended up getting it pretty sorted by the end of the weekend so that was definitely a plus.
“After the rain they had, and what they did to prepare it, the (Newry) track turned out pretty good.”
On his chances at Horsham, Dylan added: “I haven’t ridden Horsham for a long time, but we should get some fast riders there for the last round due to the MX Nationals.
“I will definitely be going for the win. That’s the main goal in every race we go to really but it depends what happens on the day,” the Choice Motorsports KTM rider said.
Reigning Victorian Ladies champion Kristy Gillespie looks set to win her historic seventh Victorian title at Horsham after she won all four motos in a perfect weekend. However, Tyla Jones is just 31 points behind and Maddy Brown is 59 points back.
The exciting finale of the state’s premier motocross competition culminates with Round 4 at the Horsham Motorcycle Club at the Dooen Raceway on June 23-24.
ENDS
Attached Image: SamMartin.jpg Attached Caption: GYTR Yamaha’s Sam Martin out in action during the opening round of the 2012 VSMXC at Wonthaggi in March (Image Credit: John Smith)
Ryan Fritz
Communications Officer
Motorcycling Victoria
A: Suite 125 / 9 Hall Street, Port Melbourne, VIC 3207
P: (03) 9673 0606 | F: (03) 9673 0620 | M: 0413 728 626
E: communications@motorcyclingvic.com.au | W: www.motorcyclingvic.com.au


No comments:
Post a Comment