
September 3, 2011
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
'WHAT HAPPENS ON THE TRACK STAYS ON THE TRACK'
CAN-AM pilot Mitch Van Vliet is just three points behind current 2010 Victorian Quad Champion Adam Larson in the Pro Open class after the first day of the 2011 Yamaha Victorian Quad Championships at Horsham, on Saturday, September 3.
The Horsham Motorcycle Club played host to the only round of the state titles for Quads in 2011, and was favoured by spectacular spring weather and even better racing.
Larson, from Carlisle River and who now races in Western Australia, won both of the Pro Open motos on Day 1, notching up a total maximum of 25 points.
Mitch Van Vliet, who recently finished third overall at the 2011 ATV Quad Cup in Coolum in July, sits in a close second on 22 points.
Mitch's younger brother Jake Van Vliet is just one point behind.
The championship could have ended early for Mitch as he landed his ATV roughly on the home straight in the first moto. "In the first moto I hit a landing hard and it just sort of threw me into the bike's handlebars. I've got a little bit of bruising, and it was hard to breath, but mentally I blocked it out and bared it," Van Vliet remarked after Day 1.
"I rode as hard as I could and rode the bike to its limits. I got two seconds, but it's better than getting DNFs."
For Mitch the track at Horsham was awesome. "It's just such a fun track to ride. It's got technical sections; it has big step-ups and step-downs, and big table-tops. It puts you up for some good racing," Mitch added.
Mitch and Adam have been racing against each other since they were twelve-years-old, so after each moto there's no animosity: "He's a freak of a rider. He always has been. We're still good mates.
"Whatever happens on the track stays on the track.
"We don't let it bother us," Mitch added.
Mitch still craves the coveted Victorian Quads Championship. "I would love to get some wins under the belt tomorrow, and hopefully take home the title. I'll go hard at it tomorrow and try to get some good starts."
The 2011 Victorian Quads Championships continues on Sunday, September 3. The Horsham Motorcycle Club is located along the Western Highway (towards Adelaide), Horsham, just before Longerenong Road. Competition re-starts at 9am.
Pro Open Class
1. Adam Larson – 25 points
2. Mitch Van Vliet – 21 points
3. Jake Van Vliet – 20 points
4. Cam Wade – 18 points
5. Troy Sheridan – 16 points
6. Adam Siemensma – 15 points
Attached Image: Larson.jpg Attached Caption: Adam Larson in mid-flight over Horsham during Day 1 of the 2011 Yamaha Victorian Quad Championships. (Image Credit: Motorcycling Victoria)
Ryan Fritz
Communications Officer
Motorcycling Victoria
A: Suite 125 / 9 Hall Street, Port Melbourne, VIC 3207
P: (03) 9673 0606 | F: (03) 9673 0620 | M: 0413 728 626
E: communications@motorcyclingvic.com.au | W: www.motorcyclingvic.com.au
Follow Us:
ΓΌ Please consider the environment before printing this email

No comments:
Post a Comment