
Press Release
For immediate release
25 March 2011
Shawn Giles to ride Irving Vincent's at 2011 HBBB
Images: Shawn Giles rides the Irving Vincent | ||
Motorcycling Australia (MA) is pleased to announce three times Australian Superbike Champion Shawn Giles is the latest big name to sign up for the 2011 Honda Broadford Bike Bonanza (HBBB) this Easter.
Giles will give the sensational new four-valve Irving Vincent its world debut and will also ride the Daytona-winning 1300cc two-valve Irving Vincent.
Speaking about the event Giles said he was looking forward to being a part of the event and working once again with the renowned Horner Brothers, Barry and Ken.
"The first time I met Barry and Ken [Horner] was at the race track on Thursday afternoon before the Island Classic, which was the first time I'd had a ride of the bike," Giles said.
"They're a good bunch of guys to work with, they've got an unbelievable motorcycle with the Irving Vincent so it's great to be a part of their team.
"I've not been to the HBBB before – I had a mate go down last year and he said 'you should go you should go', so it's going to be something new for me, but I'm hoping it will be similar the other classic events I've been to – because the atmosphere is so good."
While only recently retired from professional racing, Giles shares an appreciation for the vital role motorcycles from the past have played in creating the machines we see on the tracks today.
"When I was growing up riding motorcycles, my father had a motorcycle shop so I had involvement with the older bikes," he said.
"They were the latest bikes back then and I've always followed them, and had a bit of a passion for them, even up until the last few years when I've been riding Superbikes.
"Where those bikes were back then, that's how our bikes came about; all the technology in motorcycles has come a long way since the early days.
"It's great to ride something from the past but it's also great to ride something from the present.
"I've always admired how much work they put into the motorcycles so it's good to finally have a ride of something that was produced well before I was born!
"Hopefully we'll get a good turn out and I'm really looking forward to it."
Until his retirement from top-level competition at the end of 2010, Giles was consistently one of the top Superbike riders in Australia for more than 15 years.
He scored a hat-trick of Australian Championships aboard Suzuki machines from 2000-2002, and also won the Australian Sportsport 600cc Championship in 1997 on a Honda.
Irving Vincent boss Ken Horner said that they were thrilled to have Giles onboard.
"Shawn is a great fit with our team," Horner said.
"He is not only vastly experienced and incredibly talented, but a really nice bloke, which is important to us.
"We have been working on the new four-valve engine for some time and I am sure Shawn will be able to give us some good feedback."
As well as the two Irving Vincent solos, the team will also field their fabulous 1300cc sidecar, which has won many Period Four Historic races ridden by Ken's brother Barry, with Chris de Nuzzo as passenger.
The Irving Vincent's will make an interesting 'Aussie' contrast to the New Zealand-built Britten V1000, which will be ridden by four times World Champion Hugh Anderson.
The line-up of V-Twins entered shows an amazing variety of designs, stretching from the Lindsay Urquhart's four-valve Anzani, Greg Webb's KR750 Harley-Davidson, the ex-Mike Hailwood 750 SS Ducati to Moto Guzzi's, Indians and several other makes.
Stay tuned to the MA website where all the latest news and information about the 2011 HBBB will be posted - including details of headline acts - and where you can re-live all the action from the 2010 HBBB through our news and photo galleries.
All the HBBB action can be found by visiting www.ma.org.au/hbbb.
All enquiries regarding the event should be directed to Peter Drakeford at MA on 03 9684 0515 or by email at pd@ma.org.au.
-Ends-
For further information please contact:
Erin Lagoudakis
Communications Officer
Motorcycling Australia
Tel: (03) 9684 0511
___________________________________
Location: 147 Montague Street, South Melbourne, Victoria
Postal: PO Box 134, South Melbourne, Victoria, 3205
Mob: 0439 396 397 Fax: (03) 9684 0555
Do you really need to print this email? Think and Ride Green!
Doc: 43012481
File: M01.13.03
This message has been scanned for malware by Websense. www.websense.com
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 9.0.894 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3527 - Release Date: 03/25/11 06:34:00



No comments:
Post a Comment